About Mydrim Gallery
Established in 1992, Mydrim Gallery is one of the oldest existing galleries in Lagos, Nigeria. The gallery is a reality borne out of a dream rooted in a passion for the beauty expressed through art. African artists have been able to express the richness of the African culture through several media.
The gallery through various exhibitions and the sale of art focuses on the immense talent of our artists and the message their works convey.
In its more than a quarter-century history of operation, the gallery has organized more than 90 performances, readings, receptions, symposia, as well as art exhibitions and special events that have been of benefit to various national and community organisations. For over 15 years, the gallery has presented its much celebrated annual programmes and exhibitions namely, the Pastel Exhibition; “Generations: The Future Masters”; Affordable Art Fair and the Lagos Art Auction in collaboration with Terra Kulture Art Gallery.
Other noteworthy exhibitions, programmes and collaborations:
- In the year 2000, Mydrim in collaboration with renown art curator Bisi Silva operating as Institute of Visual Arts and Culture (IVAC) organized a series of public lectures on contemporary art and culture delivered by international speakers on various university campuses all over the country.
- ‘Living Masters’ exhibition in 2007, which featured paintings by Nigerian grand masters was declared open by Nobel Laureate, Wole Soyinka.
- Photography exhibition for the Lagos State Government titled ‘Nigeria at Fifty’ in 2010 to commemorate Nigeria’s 50th Independence anniversary.
- In 2015, the gallery represented Africa at the modern art section of the International Art Dubai Fair in the UAE.
Art collectors have developed a discerning eye for high-quality works of art. We understand that art is a medium of expression and that artists have the liberty to express real, surreal and abstract situations. The gallery, therefore, continues to promote and project the expression of talent in art by:
- Developing an awareness of the visual arts in the society.
- Stimulating and educating the public about the nature and essence of art in human life.
- Providing a conducive environment for the sale of artworks.
- Promoting talented artists by ensuring effective exposure.